Famous Creepy Quotes from Literature
Books have long been the source material for terrifying quotes, and in this section, I will be listing my 10 favourite creepy quotes from literature, covering a wide range of genres, as you will see below.
1. “Wendy? Darling? Light of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.”
– The Shining, Stephen King
2. “Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do?”
– American Psycho, Brett Easton Ellis
3. “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”
– The Tempest, William Shakespeare
4. “I’m every nightmare you’ve ever had. I am your worst dream come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of!”
– It, Stephen King
5. “The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door…”
– Knock, Fredric Brown
6. “With a mocking smile, he placed one hand upon my shoulder and, holding me tight, bared my throat with the other, saying as he did so: “First, a little refreshment to reward my exertions…”
– Dracula, Bram Stoker
7. “Marley was dead, to begin with.”
– A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
8. “I thought that Mr. Clutter was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment that I cut his throat.”
– In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
9. “I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.”
– Silence Of The Lambs, Thomas Harris
10. “Do you think the dead come back and watch the living?”
– Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
11. “Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice.”
– Inferno, Dante Alighieri
12. “O little one,
My little one,
Come with me,
Your life is done.
Forget the future,
Forget the past.
Life is over:
Breathe your last.”
– Abarat, Clibe Baker
13. “Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.”
– Robert Bloch
Famous Creepy Quotes from Movies
Ahh, the movies, the picture, the old picturehouse. Long have we flocked to cinema and packed screenings of the latest films, some famous for their vomit-inducing horror. Some of the best horror quotes are ones that transcend their movie and bleed into popular culture. These are listed below.
1. “I see dead people.”
– The Sixth Sense
2. “They’re hee-re.”
– Poltergeist (1982)
3. “A boy’s best friend is his mother.”
– Psycho (1960)
4. “Be afraid. Be very afraid.”
– The Fly (1986)
5. “Do you like scary movies?”
6. “One, two, Freddy’s coming to you…”
– A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
7. “Hello, I want to play a game.”
8. “When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.”
– Dawn of the Dead (1978)
9. “The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
– The Usual Suspects
10. “Have you watched the children lately?”
– When a Stranger Calls (1979)
11. “Do you want to play a game?”
– Saw (2014)
12. “Sometimes dead is better.”
– Pet Sematary (1989)
Creepy Quotes about Death
Usually listed high on the “most feared” lists, death is one of those things we are all meandering towards. Some of us can’t bear to think about it, while others are at peace knowing that death is an inevitability. So, to perk you up on your road-trip to the sun, here are my favourite creepy quotes about death.
1. “Death is the solution to all problems. No man – no problem.”
– Joseph Stalin
2. “I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”
3. “I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory.”
– Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton
4. “For everything in life there is always a beginning and an end. This is the tough part, the most difficult thing when you see that it’s coming: The end.”
– Seve Ballesteros
5. “While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.”
– Leonardo Da Vinci
6. “If we have been pleased with life, we should not be displeased with death, since it comes from the hand of the same master.”
7. “From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.”
– Edvard Munch
8. “Death is psychosomatic.”
– Charles Manson
9. “To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he can never know that he is dead.”
– Samuel Butler
10. “There are more dead people than living. And their numbers are increasing. The living are getting rarer.”
– Eugene Ionesco
Creepy Love Quotes
“Love is all you need…” as a little group from the north of England said, and who would argue with them? Since the macabre days of Poe, people have been drawn to the dark and eerie side of love, and so, with that in mind, here are my favourite creepy love quotes.
1. “Your scent is like a drug to me like my own personal brand of heroin.”
2. “You are a cinema, I could watch you forever.”
– Benny Benassi, Cinema
3. “Even when I’m dead, I’ll swim through the Earth, like a mermaid of the soil, just to be next to your bones.”
– Jeffrey McDaniel
4. “I want to be your last thought at night, and your first taste at dawn.”
– Nenia Campbell, Horrorscape
5. “Deep in earth my love is lying/And I must weep alone.”
– Edgar Allan Poe, Deep in Earth (an unfinished couplet)
6. “I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.”
– Edgar Allan Poe
7. “Light is easy to love. Show me your darkness.”
– R. Queen, Darkchylde
8. “Tell Me the Story About How The Sun Loved The Moon So Much He Died Every Night To Let Her Breathe.”
– John Braatz
9. “Do you have to open graves to find women to fall in love with?”
– The Mummy (1932)
10. “She was young and very beautiful, but pale, like the grey pallor of death.”
– Bram Stoker
Creepy Bible Quotes
The good book. No matter what your beliefs are, you can’t argue with the popularity of the most sold book in human history (more than 5 billion estimated copies sold). But, reading it, you soon discover it’s not all magic and miracles, but a lot of darkness. Here are 10 of my favourite creepy Bible quotes.
*Note: I will be using the King James Bible translations for all of these.
1. “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”
– Leviticus 20:13
2. “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.”
– 1 Peter 5:8
3. “Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.”
– Revelation 13:18
4. “But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.”
– Matthew 8:22
5. “And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.”
– Revelation 2:23
6. “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.”
– 1 Timothy 2:12
7. “And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.”
– Genesis 22:2
8. “And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.”
– Revelation 9:6
9. “And I will fill his mountains with his slain men: in thy hills, and in thy valleys, and in all thy rivers, shall they fall that are slain with the sword.”
– Ezekiel 35:8
10. “And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.”
– Revelation 6:8
Those were some of the best spooky sayings I could track down. I hope they don’t keep you up at night! There are many things you could get out of this article, but I think your main takeaway will be the same as mine: old testament God was an abhorrent death-monger.
What was your favourite from the lists? Are there any creepy quotes I’ve missed? Let me know in the comments section below, and as always, thanks for dropping by!
From Skywalkers to superheroes; from a Gunslinger to Gollum; From a time travelling police box to a time travelling delorean, my obsession with everything fantastical and geeky began when I was around 6, aboard the USS Enterprise, with Captain Jean-Luc Picard at the helm.
Now, being 6 seems like a lifetime ago, and a lot has changed in my life but my love for all things geeky remains a constant.
Win a Geeky Subscription Box
Subscribe to get a chance to win a geeky subscription box.
Consuming endless hours of television is kind of a staple of nowadays’ media culture. The binge watching guide below is the result of my extensive research on the history and psychology of binge watching. Read more to learn about its dangers and how you can turn this phenomenon into a positive experience!
When you think about superheroes, you usually imagine almighty folk, am I right? Well, here are 10 superheroes without powers who might make you reconsider that notion.
The critics, the viewers (and we) have spoken! These are the worst horror movies of the past 10 years based on their Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB scores and our viewing of them.
A roundup of 10 of the worst books ever written and what makes them so bad.
Missing the Harry Potter series? Check out these amazing Harry Potter companion books and behind the scenes guides!
It doesn’t have to be Halloween for us to geek out, brainstorm some Harry Potter costume ideas, and have a HP-themed extravaganza. From brave Gryffindors to cunning Slytherins, memorable professors, and even more memorable pets, there are a ton of Harry Potter costumes you can try.